2.4.1: Procedure for
taking sample and manner of sending it for analysis-
The Food Safety Officer while taking sample of food for analysis under clause A of Sub Section 1 of Section 38 and Section 47 (except 47 (5)) of the Act, shall also follow the procedure specified hereunder;-
1. shall call one or more witnesses at the time of lifting of the samples
2. Obtain the signatures from the witnesses in all the forms and documents prepared
3. Serve the notice in Form V A to the business operator then and there
4. in case the food business operator discloses that the product has been obtained from the manufacturer, the distributor or supplier, a notice shall also be given to such manufacturer, distributor or supplier,
5. in case where the sample is drawn from an open container, the person drawing the sample shall also draw a sample from a container in original condition of the same article bearing the same declaration, if such container is available, and intimate the same to the Food Analyst.
6. Where a Food Safety Officer or the purchaser takes a sample of an article of food for analysis, he shall pay, the cost of such sample, to the person from whom the sample is taken, calculated at the rate at which the article is sold to the public.
7. Sample of article of Food for the purpose of analysis shall be taken in clean dry bottles or jars or in other suitable containers which shall be closed to prevent leakage, evaporation or to avoid entrance of moisture in case of dry substance and shall be carefully sealed.
Provided, if a sealed package marketed by the manufacturer/Food Business Operator is taken as sample, further sealing in separate containers will not be required.
8. All bottles or jars or other containers containing the samples for analysis shall be properly labeled and the parcel shall be properly addressed. The label on any sample of food sent for analysis shall bear
I. Code number of the sample
II. Name of the sender with his official designation
III. Date and place of collection
IV. Nature of articles being sent for analysis
V. Nature and quantity of preservative, if any, added to the sample.
9. The samples will be packed and sealed in the manner prescribed hereunder :
(i) Sample shall be divided into four parts or take four already sealed packages and mark and seal or fasten up each part in such a manner as its nature permits and take the signature or thumb impression of the person from whom the sample has been taken on the label mentioned in 18.104.22.168
(ii) The stopper/cap shall first be securely fastened so as to prevent leakage of the contents in transit
(iii) The bottle, jar or other container shall then be completely wrapped in fairly strong thick paper. The ends of the paper shall be neatly folded in and affixed by means of gum or other adhesive.
(iv) A paper slip of the size that goes round completely from the bottom to top of the container, bearing the signature of the Designated Officer or any officer authorized by Food Safety commissioner and code number of the sample, shall be pasted on the wrapper. The signature or thumb impression of the person from whom the sample has been taken, shall be affixed in such a manner that the paper slip and the wrapper both carry a part of this signature or the thumb impression
Provided that in case the person from whom the sample is taken refuses to affix his signature or thumb impression, the signature or thumb impression of one or more witnesses shall be taken in the same manner
Provided further that in case the paper slip containing the signature of the Designated Officer is of such a size that it does not cover completely from the bottom to the top of the container, the Food Safety Officer shall affix additional sheet/s of paper to the slip containing the signature of the Designated Officer so as to cover the container completely and the Food Safety Officer shall affix his signature on each of the joints for the purpose of identification.
Provided also further that where the purchaser or an Authorized Officer draws the sample no such paper slip shall be required to be affixed
(v) The paper cover shall be further secured by means of strong twine or thread both above and across the bottle, jar or other container and the twine or thread shall then be fastened on the paper cover by means of sealing wax on which there shall be distinct and clear impression of the seal of the sender, of which one shall be at the top of the packet, one at the bottom and the other two on the body of the packet. The knots of the twine or thread shall be covered by means of sealing wax bearing the impression of the seal of the sender.
10. The containers of the samples shall be dispatched forthwith in the following manner
(i) the sealed container of one part of the sample for analysis along with memorandum in Form VI shall be sent in a sealed packet to the Food Analyst under appropriate condition to retain the integrity of the sample.
(ii) the sealed container of the second and third parts of the sample and two copies of memorandum in Form VI shall be sent to the Designated Officer by any suitable means and
(iii) the sealed container of the remaining fourth part of the sample and a copy of memorandum in Form VI shall be sent to an accredited laboratory along with fee prescribed by the Authority, if so requested by the Food Business Operator, under intimation to the Designated Officer
Provided that fourth part also shall be deposited with Designated Officer if Food business Operator does not request to send the sample to an accredited lab.
(iv) for lifting a sample fortesting microbiological parameters, the method of lifting sample, type of container, temperature to be maintained, method of transportation and any other condition to maintain the integrity of the sample shall be notified by the Food Authority from time to time.
11. The Food Safety Officer shall send to the Food Analyst to whom the sealed container of first part of the sample was sent, a copy of the memorandum and specimen impression of the seal used to seal the packet and the same shall be sent forthwith.
12. The Food Safety Officer or the Authorized Officer, while taking sample for the purpose of analysis under the provisions of the Act except in the case where the sample is meant for microbiological testing/ analysis, may add to the sample, a preservative as may be prescribed from time to time in the regulations for the purpose of maintaining it in a condition suitable for analysis.
13. Whenever any preservative is added to a sample, the nature and quantity of the preservative added shall be clearly noted on the label to be affixed to the container.
14. The quantity of sample of food to be sent to the Food Analyst / Referral lab for analysis shall be as specified in regulations by the Food Authority:
Explanation: Foods sold in packaged condition (sealed container or package) shall be sent for analysis in its original condition without opening the package as far as practicable, to constitute approximate quantity along with original label. In case of bulk packages, wherever preservatives are to be added as per the requirement under these rules, the sample shall be taken after opening sealed container or package in the presence of the Food Business Operator or in case of his refusal, in the presence of one or more witnesses and the contents of the original label shall also be sent along with the sample for analysis. However, such samples shall not be used for microbiological analysis
15. Where food is sold or stocked for sale or for distribution in sealed containers having identical label declaration, the contents of one or more of such containers as may be required to satisfy the quantity prescribed, shall be treated to be a part of the sample.
16. The quantity of sample of food packaging material to be sent to the Food Analyst /Director of referral lab for analysis shall be as specified below:-
Name of food packaging material
Approximate quantity/surface area to be supplied
Food packaging material when sample is 8 x 1000 x 9 sq.cm. surface area." taken from manufacturer.
When sample is taken from small consumer Complete packaging material used for one container, packages.
#LawyerServices #Section #Act #Law #Statute #IndianLaw #Kanoon