172. Contents and manner of service of notice and persons on whom it is to be served
(1) Every notice of a meeting of a company shall specify the place and the day and hour of the meeting, and shall contain a statement of the business to be transacted thereat.
(2) Notice of every meeting of the company shall be given-
(i) To every member of the company, in any manner authorised by sub-section (1) to (4) of section 53;1 [Provided that where the notice of a meeting is given by advertising the same in a newspaper circulating in the neighbourhood of the registered office of the company under sub-section (3) of section 53, the statement of material facts referred to in section 173 need not be annexed to the notice as required by that section but it shall be mentioned in the advertisement that the statement has been forwarded to the members of the company.]
(ii) to the persons entitled to a share in consequence of the death or insolvency of a member, by sending it through the post in a prepaid letter addressed to them by name, or by the title of representatives of the deceased, or assignees of the insolvent, or by any like description, at the address, if any, in India supplied for the purpose by the persons claiming to be so entitled, or until such an address has been so supplied, by giving the notice in any manner in which it might have been given if the death or insolvency had not occurred; and
(iii) To the auditor or auditors for the time being of the company, in any manner authorised by section 53 in the case of any member of members of the company:
(3) The accidental omission to give notice to, or the non-receipt of notice by, any member or other person to whom it should be given shall not invalidate the proceedings at the meeting.
1. Inserted by Companies (AMENDMENT) Act, 1960
#LawyerServices #Section #Act #Law #Statute #IndianLaw #Kanoon