158. Provisions as to foreign registers
(1) A foreign register shall be deemed to be part of the company's register (in this section called the "principal register") of members or of debenture holders, as the case may be.
(2) A foreign register shall be kept, shall be open to inspection and may be closed, and extracts may be taken therefrom and copies thereof may be required, in the same manner, mutatis mutandis, as is applicable to the principal register under this Act, except that the advertisement before closing the register shall be inserted in some newspaper circulating in the district wherein the foreign register is kept.
(3)(a) The Central Government may, by notification in the Official Gazette, direct that the provisions of clause (b) shall apply, or cease to apply, to foreign registers kept in any State or country outside India.
(b) If a foreign register is kept by a company in any State or country to which a direction under clause (a) applies for the time being, the decision of any competent Court in that State or country in regard to the rectification of the register shall have the same force and effect as if it were the decision of a competent Court in India.(4) The company shall-
(a) Transmit to its registered office in India a copy of every entry in any foreign register as soon as may be after the entry is made; and(5) Every such duplicate shall, for all the purposes of this Act, be deemed to be part of the principal register.
(b) Keep at such office a duplicate of every foreign register duly entered up from time to time.
(6) Subject to the provisions of this section with respect to duplicate registers, the shares or debentures registered in any foreign register shall be distinguished from the shares or debentures registered in the principal register and in every other foreign register; and no transaction with respect to any shares or debentures registered in a foreign register shall, during the continuance of that registration, be registered in any other register.
(7) The company may discontinue the keeping of any foreign register; and thereupon all entries in that register shall be transferred to some other foreign register kept by the company in the same part of the world or to the principal register.
(8) Subject to the provisions of this Act, a company may, by its articles, make such regulations as it thinks fit in regard to its foreign registers.
(9) If default is made in complying with sub-section (4), the company, and every officer of the company who is in default, shall be punishable with fine which may extend to 1[five hundred rupees].
1. Subs. by Act 53 of 2000, sec. 67, for "fifty rupees" (w.e.f. 13-12-2000).
#LawyerServices #Section #Act #Law #Statute #IndianLaw #Kanoon