144. Right to inspect copies of instruments creating charges and company’s register of charges
(1) The copies of instruments creating charges kept in pursuance of section 136, and the register of charges kept in pursuance of section 143, shall be open during business hours (but subject to such reasonable restrictions as the company in general meeting may impose, so that not less than two hours in each day are allowed for inspection) to the inspection of any creditor or member of the company without fee, at the registered office of the company.
(2) The register of charges kept in pursuance of section 143 shall also be open, during business hours but subject to the reasonable restrictions aforesaid, to the inspection of any other person on payment of a fee of 1[such sum as may be prescribed] for each inspection, at the registered office of the company.
(3) If the inspection of the said copies or register is refused, the company, and every officer of the company who is in default, shall be punishable with fine which may extend to 2[five hundred rupees] and with a further fine which may extend to 3[two hundred rupees] for every day during which the refusal continues.
(4) The 4[Central Government] may also by order compel an immediate inspection of the said copies or register.
1. Subs. by Act 31 of 1988, sec. 67, for "one rupee" (w.e.f. 15-7-1988).
2. Subs. by Act 53 of 2000, sec. 55, for "fifty rupees" (w.e.f. 13-12-2000).
3 Subs. by Act 53 of 2000, sec. 55, for "tewenty rupees" (w.e.f. 13-12-2000).
4. Substituted by Act 31 of 1988, sec. 67, for "Court" (w.e.f.31-5-1991) and again subs. by Act 11 of 2003, sec. 21, for "Company Law Board".
#LawyerServices #Section #Act #Law #Statute #IndianLaw #Kanoon