In this Act, unless there is anything repugnant in the subject or context:-
(a) "the Board" means the  [  [***] Coffee Board] constituted under section 4;
 [(aa) "Chairman" means the Chairman of the Board;]
(b) "coffee" means the commodity derived from the fruit of the rubiaceous plant known by that name, and includes raw coffee, cured coffee, uncured coffee, roasted coffee and prepared coffee;
 [(c) "Commissioner" means a Commissioner of Customs as specified in clause (b) of section 3 of the Customs Act, 1962 (52 of 1962);]
(d) "curing" means the application to raw coffee of mechanical processes other than pulping for the purpose of preparing it for marketing;
(e) "curing establishment" means any place to which raw coffee is sent by a registered owner for curing, and includes any estate which the Board may declare to be a curing establishment for the purposes of this Act;
 [(ee) "dealer" means a person carrying on the business of selling coffee, whether wholesale or by retail;]
(f) "estate" means an area administered as one unit which contains land planted with coffee plants;
 [(ff) "India" means the territory of India excluding the State of Jammu and Kashmir;]
(g) "Indian Coffee Cess Committee" means the Indian Coffee Cess Committee constituted under the Indian Coffee Cess Act, 1935 (14 of 1935);
 [(h) "free sale quota" means that portion, stated in terms of bulk or weight, of the whole of the coffee produced by the estate in the year, which a registered estate is permitted under this Act to sell;]
 [(i) "owner" in relation to any land planted with coffee plants, includes:-
(1) any agent of the owner, and
(2) a mortgage, lessee or other person in actual possession of the land;]
(j) "prescribed" means prescribed by rules made under this Act;
(k) "registered estate" means an estate in respect of which an owner is registered under sub-section (1) of section 14, and includes also any estate in respect of which an owner is required to be registered under the provisions of that sub-section;
(l) "registered owner" means an owner of a registered estate who has been or is required to be registered under sub-section (1) of section 14;
(m) "surplus pool" means the stock of coffee accumulated by the Board out of the amounts delivered to the Board under section 25;
 [(n) "year" means the period of twelve months beginning with the first day of July and ending with the thirtieth day of June next following.]
1. Substituted by Act 7 of 1943 , Section 2, for "Indian Coffee Market Expansion Board" (w.e.f. 26-3-1943).
2. The word "Indian" omitted by Act 50 of 1954 , Section 5 (w.e.f. 1-8-1955).
3. Inserted by Act 50 of 1954 , Section 5 (w.e.f. 1-8-1955).
4. Substituted by Act 22 of 1995 , Section 85, for clause (c) (w.e.f. 26-5-1995).
5. Inserted by Act 2 of 1944 , Section 2 (w.e.f. 27-2-1944).
6. Inserted by Act 3 of 1951 , Section 3 and Schedule (w.e.f. 1-4-1951).
7. Substituted by Act 23 of 1994 , Section 2, for clause (h) (w.e.f. 14-1-1994).
8. Substituted by Act 48 of 1961 , Section 2, for clause (i) (w.e.f. 19-4-1962).
9. Clause (ll) omitted by Act 3 of 1951 , Section 3 and Schedule (w.e.f. 1-4-1951). Earlier clause (ll) was inserted by the Adaptation of Laws Order, 1950
10. Substituted by 48 of 1961, Section 2, for clause (n) (w.e.f. 19-4-1962).
#LawyerServices #Section #Act #Law #Statute #IndianLaw #Kanoon