1 . Short title .- This Act may be called the Bombay Police (Amendment) Act, 2005.
2 . Insertion of sections 33A and 33B in Bom. XXII of 1951 .- After section 33 of the Bombay Police Act, 1951, the following sections shall be inserted, namely:-
"33A.Prohibition of performance of dance in eating house, permit room or beer bar and other consequential provisions:- (1) Notwithstanding anything contained in this Act or the rules made by the Commissioner of Police or the District Magistrate under sub-section (2) of section 33 for the area under their respective charges, on and from the date of commencement of the Bombay Police (Amendment) Act, 2005,-
(a) holding of a performance of dance, of any kind or type, in an eating house, permit room or beer bar is prohibited;
(b) all performance licences, issued under the aforesaid rules by the Commissioner of Police or the District Magistrate or any other officer, as the case may be, being the Licensing Authority, to hold a dance performance, of any kind or type, in an eating house, permit room or beer bar shall stand cancelled.
(2) Notwithstanding anything contained in section 131, any person who holds or causes or permits to be held a dance performance of any kind or type, in an eating house, permit room or beer bar in contravention of sub-section (1), shall, on conviction, be punished with imprisonment for a term which may extend to three years and with fine which may extend to rupees two lakhs:
Provided that, in the absence of special and adequate reasons to the contrary to be mentioned in the judgment of the Court, such imprisonment shall not be less than three months and fine shall not be less than rupees fifty thousand.
(3) If it is noticed by the Licensing Authority that any person, whose performance licence has been cancelled under sub-section (1), holds or causes to be held or permits to hold a dance performance of any kind or type in his eating house, permit room or beer bar, the Licensing Authority shall, notwithstanding anything contained in the rules framed under section 33, suspend the Certificate of Registration as an eating house and the licence to keep a Place of Public Entertainment (PPEL) issued to a permit room or a beer bar and within a period of 30 days from the date of suspension of the Certificate of Registration and licence, after giving the licensee a reasonable opportunity of being heard, either withdraw the order of suspending the Certificate of Registration and the licence or cancel the Certificate of Registration and the licence.
(4) A person aggrieved by an order of the Licensing Authority canceling the Certificate of Registration and the licence under sub-section (3), may, within a period of 30 days from the date of receipt of the order, appeal to the State Government. The decision of the State Government thereon shall be final.
(5) Any person whose performance licence stands cancelled under sub-section (1), may apply to the Licensing Authority, who has granted such licence, for refund of the proportionate licence fee. The Licensing Authority, after making due inquiry, shall refund the licence fee on pro-rata basis, within a period of 30 days from the date of the receipt of such application.
(6) The offence punishable under this section shall be cognizable and non-bailable.
33B.Non-application of the provisions of section 33A in certain cases:- Subject to the other provisions of this Act, or any other law for the time being in force, nothing in section 33A shall apply to the holding of a dance performance in a drama theatre, cinema theatre and auditorium; or sports club or gymkhana, where entry is restricted to its members only, or a three starred or above hotel or in any other establishment or class of establishments, which, having regard to (a) the tourism policy of the Central or State Government for promoting the tourism activities in the State; or (b) cultural activities, the State Government may, by special or general order, specify in this behalf.
Explanation.-For the purposes of this section, "sports club" or "gymkhana" means an establishment registered as such under the provisions of the Bombay Public Trusts Act, 1950, or the Societies Registration Act, 1860 or the Companies Act, 1956, or any other law for the time being in force.".
#LawyerServices #Section #Act #Law #Statute #IndianLaw #Kanoon