(1) When any person who, 4[in the presence of the 1[commissioner]
collector or any officer not below such rank] as the 1[2[State] Government] may by general or special order, specify in this behalf, has committed or has been accused of committing an offence under this Act, refuses on demand of such officer to give his name and residence, or gives a name or residence which such officer has reason to believe to be false, he may be arrested by such officer in order that his name and residence may be ascertained.
(2)When the true name and residence of such person have been ascertained, he shall be released on his executing a bond, with or without sureties, to appear before a Magistrate, if so required:
Provided that if such person is not resident in India the bond shall be secured by a surety or sureties residing in India.
(3) Should the true name and residence of such person not be ascertained within 24 hours from the time of arrest and should he fail to execute the bond or if he is so to furnish sufficient sureties, he shall be forthwith rewarded to the nearest magistrate having jurisdiction.
1. This word was substituted for the word “Director” by Mah. 52 of 1973, S. 3, Sch.
2. Section 15 was deleted, ibid., S. 22.
3. Sub-section (1) was substituted by Born. 19 of 1959, S. 23.
4. These words were substituted for the words “in the presence of any officer of such rank” ibid., S. 24(a).
#LawyerServices #Section #Act #Law #Statute #IndianLaw #Kanoon